CIA Challenge Exam
As an active CISA™ holder or CPA/CA holder from one of the qualified accounting bodies, you can take advantage of this rare opportunity to earn the Certified Internal Auditor® (CIA®) designation through an expedited process and join the more than 185,000 CIAs who have achieved this highly respected global certification. This expedited process allows you to obtain the CIA designation after successfully passing the one-part examination. The CIA Challenge Exam only includes content not covered on your CISA exam or CPA/CA exam.
By earning the CIA designation, you will join an elite group of individuals who have experienced global professional growth and upward mobility. Adding the CIA credential to your resume will elevate you among your peers and demonstrate that you are:
- A credible and trusted internal auditor.
- A stronger, more competent professional who is knowledgeable in organizational governance.
- Equipped for career-advancing opportunities.
In addition to saving time, the CIA Challenge Exam offers significant financial savings. The CIA Challenge Exam bundle, priced at US$1,195 for IIA members and US$1,545 for non-IIA members, includes:
- CIA Challenge Exam application fee.
- CIA Challenge Exam registration fee.
- CIA Challenge Exam Study Guide for Qualified CPAs/CAs and Qualified Information Systems Auditors (CISA™) and 1,000 practice questions included in the customised CIA Learning System®.
- Access to the online materials are valid for 12 months from date of invitation. Extensions are available for a fee.
- Access to the Standards to help you prepare for the exam.
The prices for the CIA Challenge Exam are not inclusive of GST. Singapore’s prevailing GST is payable by the candidates. All fees are non-refundable and non-transferrable.
The IIA’s CIA Challenge Exam Study Guide for Qualified CPAs / CAs and CISAs combines online reading materials and study tools to teach and reinforce the CIA Challenge Exam syllabus in a flexible, on-demand format. The Study Guide offers:
- An online learning experience where candidates can study whenever they have a few spare minutes.
- Comprehensive online reading materials and downloadable e-reader files.
- 1,000 practice exam questions to test candidates'understanding and ability to apply concepts. *Please note these practice questions are developed independently of the IIA Global Certifications department and based on the publicly listed syllabi.
- A glossary of terms.
- A video tutorial providing an overview of the IPPF components.
- Access to these online study tools for one year from date of invitation.
Who is Eligible? (Either one of the categories)
1. Candidates must be an active CPA or CA from one of the following qualified accounting bodies; students are ineligible:
- CPA license from any US State Board
- Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA)
- Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand (CA ANZ)
- Chartered Accountants Ireland Institute
- Chartered Professional Accountants Canada (CPA Canada)
- CPA Australia
- Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants (HKICPA)
- Institute of Certified Public Accountants in Ireland (CPA Ireland)
- Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW)
- Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI)
- Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland (ICAS)
- Institute of Singapore Chartered Accountants (ISCA)
- Malaysian Institute of Certified Public Accountants (MICPA)
- Philippine Institute of Certified Public Accountants (PICPA)
- Registro Oficial de Auditores de Cuentas (ROAC)
- Saudi Organization for Certified Public Accountants (SOCPA)
- South African Institute of Chartered Accountants (SAICA)
IMPORTANT: Please contact your local accounting body to obtain a letter of good standing prior to submitting an application. This document or current licensure must be provided to complete the application process.
2. Candidates must be an active CISA holder.
IMPORTANT: Please obtain proof of good standing from the public registry prior to submitting an application. This must be provided to complete the application process.
CISA™ is a trademark of ISACA.
Program Timeline and Additional Information
Program Timeline for Applicants Approved in April
- Application Window: April 2023
- Registration & Scheduling: April 2023
- First Attempt Test Windows: June or August 2023
First sitting of the examination must be taken in June or August 2023 only.
Program Timeline for Applicants Approved in September
- Application Window: September 2023
- Registration & Scheduling: September 2023
- First Attempt Test Windows: November 2023 or February 2024
First sitting of the examination must be taken in November 2023 or February 2024 only.
- Retake Test Windows: February, June, August, November 2023
- Registration & Scheduling: All year
You have 180 days to register, schedule and sit for the examination after application approval. The examination is only offered in the testing windows as listed above. The first exam registration is included in the application bundled price. Retake examinations are available for an additional fee. There is no maximum number of times candidates may retake the examination within the three-year program window.
- Comprised of 150 multiple choice questions based on the syllabi.
- Based on the International Professional Practices Framework and Standards.
- Examination time: Up to 180 minutes
- Offered in English only.
- Based on scaled scoring and a passing score of 600 is required out of 750 points.
- Developed following best practices with the support of experts and professionals. Learn more about the exam development process and how exams are scored.
- Available via online testing or at a testing center.
Exam Syllabi for the respective CIA Challenge Exam:
CIA Challenge Exam Preparatory Courses (SFC-Eligible & SSG-Approved)
Candidates can sign up for the CIA Challenge Exam preparatory course to prepare for the exam.
First run: 6 & 13 May 2023 (Saturday)
Second run: 2 & 9 Dec 2023 (Saturday)
The CIA Challenge Exam (delivered via online testing or at a testing center)
- Create a profile or log in to the Certification Candidate Management System (CCMS).
- Select “Apply for Certified Internal Auditor.”
- Select “CIA Challenge Program for
"Qualified Chartered Accountants and Certified Public Accountants".
''CIA Challenge Program for Qualified Information Systems Auditors".
- After the payment screen
You must upload a letter of good standing from the qualified accounting body and a government-issued ID. You must also complete the electronic character reference. Once approved into the program, you may register and schedule your examination.
You must upload proof of good standing from the public registry and a goverment-issued ID. You must also complete the electronic character reference. Once approved for the program, you may register and schedule your examination.
- To register and schedule your exam, select “Manage my program > CIA > Register.”
Exam Registration and Scheduling
- Once approved into the program, access your CCMS account and select “Manage My Program” to register your exam with PearsonVUE. Upon completing the registration process select “Access PearsonVUE” from the main menu bar and follow the onscreen instructions for scheduling your appointment. During the scheduling process, you will have the option to take your exam via online testing or at a testing center.
- Schedule your examination for the testing window. You will have the option to take your exam via online testing or at a testing center. To find the nearest testing center, visit the Pearson VUE page and select “Find a test center.” Learn more about online testing.
Challenge Exam Study Materials
- Approved candidates will received email invitation for the online Challenge Exam Study Guide within 7 business days from The IIA's Distribution Center with the subject line ' Action Required - Your IIA Online Access.' Candidates will need to activate the online access separately.
- Please check your Inbox and Spam folder for the email before contacting CustomerCare.
- Study Guide is valid for 12 months from date of invitation. Extensions are available for a fee.
- For questions or assistance with the Study Guide, please reach out to email@example.com.
What Is Online Testing?
Online testing allows candidates to test using their own computer in their home, their office, or remotely in other acceptable locations. Visit the Pearson VUE online proctoring page for system requirements and additional information. Click the image below to watch a short video to learn more.
To prepare and understand the check-in procedures and system requirements for online testing, visit the Pearson VUE online proctoring page and click “Run system test.” Once you download the application and follow the prompts, they are identical to checking in for your upcoming exam. This program will also test your system to determine if you meet the requirements needed to take the exam via online testing.
English – Pearson VUE System Test
Technology and Equipment Compatibility
Online testing is no longer supported on Internet Explorer; therefore, candidates should plan to use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox to take the exam.
Our vendor, Pearson VUE, has been made aware of issues with Mac devices when attempting to take the test online. While Pearson VUE works to resolve the issue, candidates are encouraged to use non-Mac devices to complete the test online. If that is not an option, consider taking your exam at a Pearson Vue test center.
Please take note that candidates assume responsibility for meeting technical requirements prior to scheduling an exam and taking your exam via online testing.
Taking Your Exam via Online Testing
Now that you have made the decision to continue with your certification program via online testing, please follow the below steps to schedule and begin your exam.
Scheduling Your Online Test
Access your CCMS profile. Once approved into the program, you may select “Manage my program,” then select the examination on the left navigation bar and then select “Register” and/or “Schedule.”
Schedule your examination for the testing window. You will have the option to take your exam via online testing or at a testing center.
Beginning Your Online Test
- Log into your CCMS account.
- Select “Access Pearson VUE” on the CCMS home page.
Under “Open Online Exams” on your dashboard, click the scheduled examination link.
Select “Begin Exam.”
You will be asked to download the OnVUE application and run the program.
Complete the check-in process by following the screen prompts (you may use a mobile phone or your computer webcam). Be sure to have your government-issued ID ready.
Accessing Score Reports
Approximately 24 hours after you have completed your exam, you will receive a system-generated email notifying you that your exam score is available. You may also check your score online by logging into your CCMS profile and selecting “Access Pearson VUE,” then selecting “View Score Reports.”
Frequently Asked Questions
Click on FAQs for more information.