Types of Memberships
Membership of IIA Singapore is categorised into seven classes:
1. Honorary Member
The conferring of Honorary Member of the Institute may be determined by the Board at their discretion upon persons who:
• By virtue of their esteemed position and character in public or business life would enhance the stature of the Institute; or have, in the opinion of the Board, rendered exceptional service to the Institute.
2. Fellow Member
The conferring of Fellow Member of the Institute may be determined by the Board at their discretion upon persons who have achieved distinction in their profession and who have made valuable contributions to internal auditing and to the Institute, provided that the conferees:
• have been Ordinary Members or Associate Members of the Institute continuously for a period of at least five (5) years;
• have had at least eight (8) years of internal auditing experience, of which five (5) years must have been in a senior position; and
• Is a current member of the Institute.
3. Ordinary Member
The class of Ordinary Member of the Institute shall be open to persons who perform internal audit functions, no matter by what titles they are designated, provided that they possess a recognised degree and/or professional qualification with at least one (1) year of practical experience in internal audit or other auditing areas to be evaluated by the Admissions Committee.
4. Associate Member
The class of Associate Member of the Institute shall be open to those in public accounting practice, non-practicing accountants and to others at the discretion of the Admissions Committee, provided such persons cannot qualify as Ordinary Members.
5. Student Member
The class of Student Member of the Institute shall be open to those engaged in the study of internal auditing or related courses who cannot qualify as an Ordinary Member or an Associate Member.
6. Retired Member
The class of Retired Member of the Institute shall be open to members in good standing who have retired from full-time employment or business, but wish to retain their links with the Institute.
7. Corporate Member
The class of Corporate Member of the Institute shall be open to any legally incorporated or registered body in Singapore under an Act of Parliament of Singapore.. The Corporate Member may appoint corporate nominees who shall comprise of:
• Staff of the Internal Audit Department who qualify as Ordinary or Associate member; and/or
• Members of the Audit Committee who qualify as Associate members.