CIA Challenge Exam
As the active CPA or CA holder from one of the qualified accounting bodies, you can take advantage of this rare opportunity to earn the Certified Internal Auditor® (CIA®) designation through an expedited process and join the more than 170,000 CIAs who have achieved this highly respected global certification. The challenge exam will include CIA content not already covered by your local accounting exam. In offering the challenge exam, The IIA continues to demonstrate the uniqueness of internal auditing as a profession and strengthens its strategic partnership with accounting bodies around the world.
By earning the CIA designation, you will join an elite group of individuals who have experienced global professional growth and upward mobility. Adding the CIA credential to your resume will elevate you among your peers and demonstrate that you are:
- A credible and trusted internal auditor
- A stronger, more competent professional who is knowledgeable in organizational governance
- Equipped for career-advancing opportunities
In addition to saving time, the CIA Challenge Exam offers significant financial savings. The CIA Challenge Exam bundle, priced at US$1,195 for IIA members and US$1,545 for non-IIA members, includes:
- CIA Challenge Exam application fee
- CIA Challenge Exam registration fee
- CIA Challenge Exam Study Guide for Qualified CAs / CPAs and practice questions included within the customised CIA Learning System®
- Access to the International Professional Practices Framework and Standards to help you prepare for the Exam
The prices for the CIA Challenge Exam are not inclusive of GST. Singapore’s prevailing GST is payable by the candidates. All fees are non-refundable and non-transferrable.
The IIA’s CIA Challenge Exam Study Guide for Qualified CAs / CPAs combines online reading materials and study tools to teach and reinforce the CIA challenge exam syllabus in a flexible, on-demand format. All CIA challenge exam candidates will enjoy:
- A fully online learning experience allows them to study whenever they have a few spare minutes.
- Comprehensive online reading materials and downloadable e-reader files.
- 1,000 practice exam questions to test their comprehension and ability to apply concepts. *Please note these practice questions are developed independently of the IIA Global Certifications department and based on the publically listed syllabi.
- A glossary of terms.
- A video tutorial providing an overview of the IPPF components.
- Access to these online study tools for one year.
Who is Eligible?
Candidates must be an active CPA or CA from one of the following qualified accounting bodies; students are ineligible:
- CPA license from any US State Board
- Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA)
- Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand (CA ANZ)
- Chartered Accountants Ireland Institute
- Chartered Professional Accountants Canada (CPA Canada)
- CPA Australia
- Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants (HKICPA)
- Institute of Certified Public Accountants in Ireland (CPA Ireland)
- Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW)
- Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI)
- Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland (ICAS)
- Institute of Singapore Chartered Accountants (ISCA)
- Malaysian Institute of Certified Public Accountants (MICPA)
- Philippine Institute of Certified Public Accountants (PICPA)
- Registro Oficial de Auditores de Cuentas (ROAC)
- Saudi Organization for Certified Public Accountants (SOCPA)
- South African Institute of Chartered Accountants (SAICA)
IMPORTANT: Please contact your local accounting body to obtain a letter of good standing prior to submitting an application. This document or current licensure must be provided to complete the application process.
Program Timeline and Additional Information
Program Timeline for Applicants Approved in June
- Application Window: June 2022
- Registration & Scheduling: June 2022
- First Attempt Test Windows: August or November 2022
First sitting of the examination must be taken in August or November 2022 only.
Program Timeline for Applicants Approved in September
- Application Window: September 2022
- Registration & Scheduling: September 2022
- First Attempt Test Windows: November 2022 or February 2023
First sitting of the examination must be taken in November 2022 or February 2023 only.
- Retake Test Windows: August 2022, November 2022, February 2023
You have 180 days to register, schedule and sit for the examination after application approval. The examination is only offered in the testing windows as listed above. The first exam registration is included in the application bundled price. Retake examinations are available for an additional fee. There is no maximum number of times candidates may retake the examination within the three-year program window.
- Comprised of 150 multiple choice questions based on the syllabi.
- Based on the International Professional Practices Framework and Standards.
- Examination time: Up to 180 minutes
- Offered in English only.
- Based on scaled scoring and a passing score of 600 is required out of 750 points.
- Developed following best practices with the support of experts and professionals. Learn more about the exam development process and how exams are scored.
CIA Challenge Exam Information Sessions
Candidates can sign up for the virtual CIA Challenge Exam Information Session for information on the exams:
First run: [Open to ISCA Members only] 25 April 2022, Monday, 12.00 to 1.00pm (Expired)
Second run: 1 June 2022, Wednesday, 12.00 to 1.00pm (Expired)
Third run: 15 August 2022, Monday, 12.00 to 1.00pm
CIA Challenge Exam Preparatory Courses (SFC-Eligible & SSG-Approved)
Candidates can sign up for the virtual CIA Challenge Exam preparatory courses to prepare for the exam.
First run: 3 - 4 October, 9.00am to 5.00pm
Second run: 19 - 20 December, 9.00am to 5.00pm
The CIA Challenge Exam (delivered via online testing or at a testing center)
- Create a profile or log in to the Certification Candidate Management System (CCMS).
- Select “Apply for Certified Internal Auditor.”
- Select “CIA Challenge Program for Qualified Chartered Accountants and Certified Public Accountants.”
- After the payment screen, you must upload a letter of good standing from the qualified accounting body and a government-issued ID. You must also complete the electronic character reference. Once approved into the program, you may register and schedule your examination.
- To register and schedule your exam, select “Manage my program > CIA > Register.”
Exam Registration and Scheduling
- Once approved into the program, access your CCMS account and select “Manage My Program” to register your exam with PearsonVUE. Upon completing the registration process select “Access PearsonVUE” from the main menu bar and follow the onscreen instructions for scheduling your appointment. During the scheduling process, you will have the option to take your exam via online testing or at a testing center.
- Schedule your examination for the testing window. You will have the option to take your exam via online testing or at a testing center. To find the nearest testing center, visit the Pearson VUE page and select “Find a test center.” Learn more about online testing.
What Is Online Testing?
Online testing allows candidates to test using their own computer in their home, their office, or remotely in other acceptable locations. Visit the Pearson VUE online proctoring page for system requirements and additional information. Click the image below to watch a short video to learn more.
To prepare and understand the check-in procedures and system requirements for online testing, visit the Pearson VUE online proctoring page and click “Run system test.” Once you download the application and follow the prompts, they are identical to checking in for your upcoming exam. This program will also test your system to determine if you meet the requirements needed to take the exam via online testing.
Technology and Equipment Compatibility
Online testing is no longer supported on Internet Explorer; therefore, candidates should plan to use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox to take the exam.
Our vendor, Pearson VUE, has been made aware of issues with Mac devices when attempting to take the test online. While Pearson VUE works to resolve the issue, candidates are encouraged to use non-Mac devices to complete the test online. If that is not an option, consider taking your exam at a Pearson Vue test center.
Please take note that candidates assume responsibility for meeting technical requirements prior to scheduling an exam and taking your exam via online testing.
Taking Your Exam via Online Testing
Now that you have made the decision to continue with your certification program via online testing, please follow the below steps to schedule and begin your exam.
Scheduling Your Online Test
Access your CCMS profile. Once approved into the program, you may select “Manage my program,” then select the examination on the left navigation bar and then select “Register” and/or “Schedule.”
Schedule your examination for the month of August, November 2022 or February 2023. You will have the option to take your exam via online testing or at a testing center.
Beginning Your Online Test
- Log into your CCMS account.
- Select “Access Pearson VUE” on the CCMS home page.
Under “Open Online Exams” on your dashboard, click the scheduled examination link.
Select “Begin Exam.”
You will be asked to download the OnVUE application and run the program.
Complete the check-in process by following the screen prompts (you may use a mobile phone or your computer webcam). Be sure to have your government-issued ID ready.
Accessing Score Reports
Approximately 24 hours after you have completed your exam, you will receive a system-generated email notifying you that your exam score is available. You may also check your score online by logging into your CCMS profile and selecting “Access Pearson VUE,” then selecting “View Score Reports.”
Frequently Asked Questions
You can read the FAQs on the Exam HERE.