CIA Challenge Exam
The IIA is offering members of Qualified Accounting Bodies (QABs) a rare opportunity to become a Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) through a one-part challenge exam. Earn the CIA designation to join the more than 173,000 CIAs worldwide who have achieved this highly respected global certification.
As a member of one of the QABs, now is the optimum time for you to take advantage of the CIA Challenge Exam which was developed to bridge the gap between the CA and CIA credentials, with an emphasis on the International Professional Practices Framework, to earn the CIA designation through an expedited process.
In addition to saving time, the CIA Challenge Exam offers significant financial savings. The CIA Challenge Exam bundle, priced at US$1,195 for IIA members and US$1,545 for non-IIA members, includes:
- CIA Challenge Exam application fee
- CIA Challenge Exam registration fee
- CIA Challenge Exam Study Guide for Qualified CAs / CPAs and practice questions included within the customised CIA Learning System®
- Access to the International Professional Practices Framework and Standards to help you prepare for the Exam
The prices for the CIA Challenge Exam are not inclusive of GST. Singapore’s prevailing GST is payable by the candidates. All fees are non-refundable and non-transferrable.
- A fully online learning experience allowing them to study whenever they have a few spare minutes
- Comprehensive online reading materials and downloadable e-reader files
- 1,000 practice exam questions to test their comprehension and ability to apply concepts. *Please note these practice questions are developed independently of the IIA Global Certifications department and based on the publicly listed syllabi
- A glossary of terms
- A video tutorial providing an overview of the IPPF components
- Access to these online study tools for one year
Who is Eligible?
Candidates must be current members of one of the following qualified accounting bodies; former members and students are ineligible:
- American Institute of CPAs (AICPA) *
- Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA)
- Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand (CA ANZ)
- Chartered Accountants Ireland Institute
- Chartered Professional Accountants Canada (CPA Canada)
- CPA Australia
- Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants (HKICPA)
- Institute of Certified Public Accountants in Ireland (CPA Ireland)
- Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW)
- Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI)
- Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland (ICAS)
- Institute of Singapore Chartered Accountants (ISCA)
- Malaysian Institute of Certified Public Accountants (MICPA)
- Philippine Institute of Certified Public Accountants (PICPA)
- Registro Oficial de Auditores de Cuentas (ROAC)
- Saudi Organization for Certified Public Accountants (SOCPA)
- South African Institute of Chartered Accountants (SAICA)
IMPORTANT: Please contact your local accounting body to obtain a letter of good standing prior to submitting an application. This document or current licensure must be provided to complete the application process.
Program Timeline and Additional Information
- Application Window: August to September 2021
- Registration & Scheduling: All year
- Testing Windows: November 2021, January, April, July, November 2022
First sitting of the examination must be taken in November 2021 or January 2022.
You have 180 days to register, schedule and sit for the examination after application approval. The examination is only offered in the testing windows as listed above. The first exam registration is included in the application bundled price. Retake examinations are available for an additional fee. There is no maximum number of times candidates may retake the examination within the three-year program window.
- Consisted of 150 multiple choice questions based on the syllabi.
- Based off the International Professional Practices Framework and Standards
- Expected to take at least three hours to complete.
- Offered in English only.
- Based off scaled scoring and a passing score of 600 is required out of 750 points.
- Developed following best practices with the support of experts and professionals. Learn more about the exam development process and how exams are scored.
CIA Challenge Exam Information Sessions
Candidates can sign up for the virtual CIA Challenge Exam Information Session for information on the exams:
First run: 16 August 2021, 12.00 to 1.00pm
Second run: 15 September 2021, 12.00 to 1.00pm
CIA Challenge Exam Preparatory Courses (SFC-Eligible & SSG-Approved)
Candidates can sign up for the virtual CIA Challenge Exam preparatory courses to prepare for the exam.
First run: 16 October 2021, 9.00 to 5.00pm
Second run: 11 December 2021, 9.00 to 5.00pm
The CIA Challenge Exam (delivered via online testing or at a testing center)
- Create a profile or log into the Certification Candidate Management System (CCMS).
- Select “Apply for Certified Internal Auditor.”
- Select “Accounting body challenge exam.”
- After the payment screen, you must upload a letter of good standing from the qualified accounting body and a government-issued ID. You must also complete the electronic character reference. Once approved into the program, you may register and schedule your examination.
- To register and schedule your exam, select “Manage my program > CIA > Register.”
Exam Registration and Scheduling
- Access your CCMS profile. Once approved into the program, you may select “Manage my program,” then select the examination on the left navigation bar and then select “Register” and/or “Schedule.”
- Schedule your examination for the month of November 2021. You will have the option to take your exam via online testing or at a testing center. To find the nearest testing center, visit the Pearson VUE page and select “Find a test center.”
What Is Online Testing?
Online testing allows candidates to test using their own computer in their home, their office, or remotely in other acceptable locations. Visit the Pearson VUE online proctoring page for system requirements and additional information. Click the image below to watch a short video to learn more.
To prepare and understand the check-in procedures and system requirements for online testing, visit the Pearson VUE online proctoring page and click “Run system test.” Once you download the application and follow the prompts, they are identical to checking in for your upcoming exam. This program will also test your system to determine if you meet the requirements needed to take the exam via online testing.
Technology and Equipment Compatibility
Online testing is no longer supported on Internet Explorer; therefore, candidates should plan to use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox to take the exam.
Our vendor, Pearson VUE, has been made aware of issues with Mac devices when attempting to take the test online. While Pearson VUE works to resolve the issue, candidates are encouraged to use non-Mac devices to complete the test online. If that is not an option, consider taking your exam at a Pearson Vue test center.
Please take note that candidates assume responsibility for meeting technical requirements prior to scheduling an exam and taking your exam via online testing.
Taking Your Exam via Online Testing
Now that you have made the decision to continue with your certification program via online testing, please follow the below steps to schedule and begin your exam.
Scheduling Your Online Test
Access your CCMS profile. Once approved into the program, you may select “Manage my program,” then select the examination on the left navigation bar and then select “Register” and/or “Schedule.”
Schedule your examination for the month of November 2021. You will have the option to take your exam via online testing or at a testing center.
Beginning Your Online Test
- Log into your CCMS account.
- Select “Access Pearson VUE” on the CCMS home page. [View example]
Under “Open Online Exams” on your dashboard, click the scheduled examination link. [View example]
Select “Begin Exam.”
You will be asked to download the OnVUE application and run the program.
Complete the check-in process by following the screen prompts (you may use a mobile phone or your computer webcam). Be sure to have your government-issued ID ready.
Accessing Score Reports
Approximately 24 hours after you have completed your exam, you will receive a system-generated email notifying you that your exam score is available. You may also check your score online by logging into your CCMS profile and selecting “Access Pearson VUE,” then selecting “View Score Reports.”
Frequently Asked Questions
You can read the FAQs on the Exam HERE.